Buying or Selling a Business or Company
We are experienced in acting for sellers and buyers of companies (shares) and businesses (trade and assets). We recognise that the buyer wants to ensure that they are getting what they paid for and that the seller wants to ensure they relinquish any responsibility for, or obligations to, the business or company.
We work with a range of clients in deals involving simple asset sales to large scale company acquisitions. It is important that sellers and buyers obtain advice regarding taxation from an accountant or other qualified professional at an early stage to ensure that they are conducting the sale in the most tax efficient manner.
We understand the desire to complete the sale and purchase as smoothly and efficiently as possible and we work with our client and the other parties to the transaction to ensure that occurs.
Buyers often require complex and detailed warranties (promises by the seller relating to aspects of the business) and sellers generally wish to minimise the scope of the warranties. The warranties form part of the main terms of sale (Share Purchase Agreement or Business Purchase Agreement). We recognise that the process can be daunting particularly for a first time seller or buyer and take time to discuss the documentation including the Share Purchase Agreement or Business Purchase Agreement to ensure that they are comfortable with the documentation.
We can assist you in all the stages of a transaction including:
- Negotiating and drafting the Share Purchase Agreement or Business Purchase Agreement
- Undertaking legal due diligence (for the buyer) and disclosing the relevant documents (on behalf of the seller)
- Reviewing the documents which have been disclosed by the seller and advising the buyer regarding any discrepancies
- Liaising with other professionals (including accountants) and our own property lawyers for due diligence and disclosure
- Drafting and negotiating the main contract setting out the terms of the sale
- Drafting the relevant documents to be filed at Companies House and other necessary documents to facilitate the sale
- Meeting with the parties to complete the transaction
- Paying tax and filing the relevant forms with HMRC (on behalf of the buyer)
If you are considering buying or selling a business or company and want to speak with us about the process then do contact us on 020 7611 4848 or at email@example.com.
We offer competitive fees tailored to your transaction.